What to do when a taillight cover cracks or falls off? It’s not as much of an emergency as it would be if your tail light bulb was burnt out, but if you don’t want to risk getting pulled over, you should fix it as soon as possible. Thankfully, there’s a product that can help you repair this minor automotive issue quickly and easily. Red Tail Light Tape by 3MTM is the repair tape you’re looking for! So don’t be caught with a broken tail light cover again!
Clean the area around the crack
It's important to clean the area around the crack before applying 3M Lens Repair Tape. Remove any dirt or debris that may interfere with the adhesive from bonding properly. Once you have cleaned the area, dry it thoroughly. Next, use an alcohol prep pad (or similar surface) to remove any oils or smudges that may be on the lens cover. Finally, use a lint-free cloth (such as paper towel or cotton t-shirt) to get rid of any moisture that remains on the lens cover.
Measure and cut a piece of the 3M lens repair tape
Measure the length of your broken tail light cover. The tape should be about 3-4 inches longer than the length of your taillight cover. Cut a piece of the tape so that you have two pieces, one for each side of the taillight cover. Peel off both pieces at the same time, starting from one end and peeling all the way down to the end. Line up both pieces on either side of your taillight cover and press them on firmly, making sure they're lined up correctly. Hold them in place for 10-20 seconds so that they will stick securely while driving, then peel off any extra 3M lens repair tape that is sticking out beyond where it needs to be.
Peel off the backing of the tape
Follow these steps to quickly fix a broken tail light cover:
- Carefully peel off the backing of the tape.
- Place the tape over your tail light lens, gently pressing on it for good contact.
- Peel away any excess tape that is not needed for a full seal.
- Test by turning on your headlights or taillights; if there are no cracks in your tail light lens, you have successfully fixed it!
- If you see visible cracks in your tail light lens, please replace it as soon as possible!
Apply the tape over the crack
- Clean the inside of your tail light cover. Remove any dirt, oil, or other debris that may prevent the tape from sticking correctly.
- Make sure there are no sharp edges on the broken area of your taillight cover before you apply 3M Lens Repair Tape to avoid tearing it.
- Cut 3M Lens Repair Tape down the long edge so that it is easier to work with in small sections while taping over the crack in your tail light cover.
Use a hair dryer to heat the tape (optional)
- Clean the area around the broken taillight cover with soap and water or rubbing alcohol.
- Cut or tear off a piece of 3M Lens Repair Tape about three inches wide.
- Place the tape over the crack on your tail light cover, smooth down any air bubbles, and press lightly all around it so that it's firmly attached to your vehicle's tail light cover.
Check that the crack is covered and the tail light is working
If the tail light cover is cracked or broken, it can usually be easily fixed. All you need is some 3M Lens Repair Tape. Simply remove the old tail light cover by peeling it off carefully. Then, clean the area thoroughly before applying new tape over the crack or tear in the tail light cover. Press firmly for about 30 seconds, then replace your old tail light cover by peeling it off carefully. Finally, test your taillight or turn signal lights to make sure they work properly! Know everything in detailed on how to fix a broken tail light cover