A Punctilious Laymans Guide To Non-Domestic Energy Performance Assessors

A Punctilious Laymans Guide To Non-Domestic Energy Performance Assessors


Working through a big decision, such as investing in Non-Domestic Energy Performance Assessors, can give us a kind of constricted vision, where we get so focused on the immediate outcomes of the decision at hand that we don’t think about the final outcomes we want.

The process of obtaining an EPC involves what is known as an Energy Survey. To carry out this survey, an assessor will visit the property in question and will examine various aspects pertaining to its energy expenditure and efficiency. This includes a number of factors closely related to the overall design and build of the property. If you're not moving home, an EPC certificate could help you with a range of energy-efficient ideas for your home. Even if you rent, you could still try some of the smaller ideas, such as draught-proofing. EPC certificates are valid for 10 years from the date the report is produced. For landlords, EPCs are even more crucial. Since April 2020, landlords are forbidden under law from renting or continuing to rent their property if they have an EPC rating below E. Landlords whose properties are rated F or G must improve their rating to E or above or register an exemption. You will never be expected to spend more than £3,500 (including VAT) on energy improvements. If you cannot improve your property to an EPC rating of E for £3,500, you should make all the improvements up to that amount, then register an ‘all improvements made’ exemption. An EPC will help identify if your home is a good fit for renewable energy-efficiency measures such as an air source heat pump. Prior to installation, it is important to ensure that your home is well-insulated and efficient. This will help you get the best from installing this technology. You can order an EPC assessment from an accredited Domestic Energy Assessor. The assessor will visit your property to inspect the building, analyse heating and water systems and survey the sizes of rooms, floors, corridors, windows, doors, and fireplaces. The inspection is usually performed within an hour and is valid for 10 years. Any building that is even partially occupied by a public authority such as a local council, college or NHS Trust and has a total floor space greater than 250 square metres and, which is regularly visited by the public has to have a DEC on display on a page no smaller than A3 size in an easily accessible location. Failure to do so can incur a £500 fine. Private organisations aren’t required to have a DEC, but they do need to have an EPC.

Non-Domestic Energy Performance Assessors

The European Union introduced the Energy Performance of Buildings Directive (EPBD) in 2003. The UK Government followed with the Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) Regulation in 2007. Commercial buildings contribute 20% of the UK’s carbon footprint. EPCs are part of a series of legislation to dramatically improve the energy efficiency of the UK’s commercial building stock, both new and existing. After a consultation in December 2020, the government have announced changes to the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards for England and Wales. The government have proposed that all rental properties will need an EPC rating of ‘C’ or above by 2025. Similar to the previous changes, the new regulations will be introduced for new tenancies first, followed by all tenancies from 2028. Communities and Local Government has introduced measures in England and Wales to improve the energy efficiency of our buildings, this became compulsory in October 2008. 'Since October 2008, all properties - homes, commercial and public buildings - when bought, sold, built or rented need an EPC. Larger public buildings also need to display an energy certificate'. An EPC includes a breakdown of a property’s energy performance. If your property is highly efficient you may spend less money on heating bills. As the better the rating, the lower your energy bills are likely to be. An understanding of the challenges met by commercial epc can enhance the value of a project.

Towards Net Zero

The EPC was initially introduced in the UK as part of the Home Information Pack (HIP or Hip) in 2007. HIPs drew so much criticism for stalling housing sales they were discontinued in 2010, but the EPC continued as a requirement for sellers and for landlords of rented properties. A DEC gives details of the current year and the past two years’ energy consumption, as well as carbon emissions, allowing people to compare how they have performed over the past couple of years. From the 1st April 2018, MEES regulations will apply to landlords / property owners upon the granting of a lease to a new tenant and lease renewals to existing tenants. In order to comply, all properties must meet MEES by undertaking permissible, appropriate and cost-effective improvements, unless exempt. Under the Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property) (England and Wales) Regulations 2015, from the 1st April 2018, it is unlawful to let out domestic properties which have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of F or G. Why? The regulations were put into place to improve energy efficiency of privately rented homes and to meet UK targets of CO2 reduction under the Energy Act 2011. Domestic EPCs are produced using standard methods and assumptions about energy usage, so that the energy efficiency of one building can easily be compared with another building of the same type. This allows prospective buyers, tenants, owners, occupiers and purchasers to see information about the energy efficiency and carbon emissions of the property, so they can consider energy and fuel costs as part of their investment. Its always best to consult the experts when considering mees regulations these days.

Whether you’re a landlord or seller, there’s plenty you can do to improve your property’s energy performance. For landlords whose property carries a rating below E, of course, making improvements is essential. But for sellers, it’s important, too, as potential buyers could be put off by a property with a poor EPC rating. Buildings are a critical piece of our transition to a lower-carbon future. They are where we live, where we rest, and where we work – and they are responsible for about 40% of global energy consumption and about one-third of global greenhouse gas emissions. For privately rented non-domestic properties, from 1st. April 2018, Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) regulations will affect all commercial landlords and property owners. The regulations state that any property having a new lease granted, or an existing lease renewed, must achieve an EPC rating of E or above. From April 2023, the regulations will apply to ALL leases, whether up for renewal or current. If you are aiming to get your property to an EPC rating B, then you will be entering the realms of the best of the best in terms of energy efficiency and a low environmental impact. Energy efficiency is the use of less energy in a building to perform the same operation as buildings that consume energy inefficiently. It should be considered during the design stage, selection of construction materials, construction process, and operation of the building. Conducting viability appraisals with respect to mees is useful from the outset of any project.

Energy Performance Related Features

The intention is that an EPC is not required for non-domestic buildings and buildings that are ancillary to a dwelling that are stand-alone having an area less than 50 square metres (for instance a stand -alone retail unit. Possibly some petrol station kiosk buildings). As well as the efficiency rating of the building, a recommendation report is produced with a commercial EPC. This report shows measures that will help to improve the efficiency rating of the building, but there is no legal requirement to implement these recommendations. An EPC can only be produced for properties built earlier than 2008. After this date, an on-construction SAP calculation would have been produced for all new build properties which, like an EPC, lasts for 10 years. All residential properties in UK requires an EPC. An Energy performance certificate lasts for a total of ten years. It is advised that if any home improvements have been carried out, you get an up to date EPC. It is the responsibility of local building control officers, new build inspectors and planning at a local authority level to perform regular checks for EPCs when the property exchanges hands or when it has been built. In addition if the building is serviced by air-conditioning units (above 12kWs), they have to have inspection certificates in place – and reviewed every 5 years. Research around non domestic epc register remains patchy at times.

An EPC is valid for 10 years (unless a new valid certificate is commissioned within this time). A landlord may choose to commission a new EPC if there have been significant changes to a property which would impact the current EPC. It is a legal requirement to have a valid EPC whenever a building is sold, rented or constructed. The certificate is your proof of how energy efficient your property is, as well as showing any potential savings on energy costs. An energy report gives the house an energy-efficiency rating. It provides information on the cost of running the property and contact details for further advice on how to make a home more energy efficient and save fuel costs. It also includes an EPC and information about how to make cost-effective improvements. The Government first mentioned its intention to introduce minimum energy efficiency requirements as part of the Energy Act 2011. However, it wasn’t until 1st April 2018 that MEES were enacted into law and it became mandatory for both residential and commercial property managers in England and Wales to ensure that their properties met the minimum standards outlined in The Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property) Regulations 2015. You should never be charged for an EPC whether you are looking to buy or rent. It should be presented to you for free by the seller or landlord (or their agent). You can have an EPC commissioned for your personal use, to help mitigate energy use, but you will have to pay for it. They can range from around £35 to £120 but shop around to get a few quotes. Do your research about epc commercial property before entering into any long term transactions.

Recommendations Report

EPCs must be carried out by an accredited domestic energy assessor which you can source in your area at the government’s official EPC register. However, if you are using an estate agent to sell your home or letting agent to rent it, it should be part of their job to ensure there is a valid EPC on the property. Energy Performance Certificates - or EPCs - tell you how energy efficient a property is on a scale of A-G. The most efficient homes - which should have the lowest fuel bills - are in band A. The Certificate also tells you, on a scale of A-G, about the impact the home has on the environment. Better-rated homes should have less impact through Carbon Dioxide (CO2) emissions. A valid EPC will last for 10 years and can be used for multiple tenancies within that period so long as the rating is not F or G. This is because from 1st April 2018 any property let on a new tenancy or a fixed term renewal of tenancy must have a minimum EPC rating of E or higher. A new EPC should be arranged for a rental property as soon as an existing certificate expires to maintain a valid EPC at all times. Discover supplementary facts on the topic of Non-Domestic Energy Performance Assessors in this UK Government Portal page.

Related Articles:

Further Findings On Non-Domestic Energy Performance Certificate Assessors
Background Insight On Commercial EPC Contractors
More Background Findings On Non-Domestic Energy Performance Assessors
Additional Insight About Commercial EPC Contractors
More Findings On Commercial Energy Performance Certificate Assessors
More Background Insight With Regard To Non-Domestic Energy Performance Certificate Contractors
Extra Findings About Non-Domestic EPC Assessors